Saturday, May 15, 2010

Two weeks in, and so far, so good...

Week one in Connecticut; excitement, anticipation, a bit of worry. Excitement and anticipation of a new chapter in our lives, a bit of worry as far as me getting a job quickly - I have been hearing absolute horror stories of friends who've had a difficult time finding employment in this current economy. Fortunately for me, I am still employed on a limited basis, working enough hours to cover the cost of my health care premiums, and for that I am eternally grateful.

When we arrived at JFK, we rented a car for the week, hoping that our car would arrive before Sunday the 9th; the car did not arrive, but my father-in-law offered one of his cars for us to use, so on Saturday we made the trek to New Jersey for the night; spent the night in Cranford, and, thanks to my mother-in-law, my wife and I got to see this:

You still look great, Tina...

Funny, could have been funnier, but a good vehicle for the two stars...and, for those who don't know, I am a HUGE fan of Ms. Fey - HUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE...

So, the next morning, after a delicious breakfast at my favorite bagel shop in the world (suck it, Noah's!), we made the long trek from Cranford/Westfield, New Jersey, back to JFK to drop off the car, quickly followed by a day long excursion here:



YES! CITI FIELD! GIANTS V. METS! WITH TIM-MAY PITCHING!!!

This turned out to be a game that reminded this Candlestick old-timer of chilly, chilly nights in Bayview/Hunters Point; it was gusting all day, it felt like a 45-50 degree game, though this little guy didn't care;
(Uh, Gap Kids...will you HIRE MY SON? I mean, LOOK AT HIM!)

As for the game, it was great for a while, with Lincecum shutting up the Citi Field patrons time and again, and it looked good with the Giants up 4-0 in the 6th inning, which is when my mother-in-law said:

"well, it looks good for you now, doesn't it?"

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Of course two innings later, a misjudged fly ball and sacrifice fly spelled a 5-4 deficit for the Jints going into the eighth, when the Giants had a runner on and Aaron Rowand at the plate.

What is interesting about Citi Field is that at that time of the day, the wind was gusting toward right center field; I read a lot about Candlestick's early days, and that Willie Mays adjusted his swing so that he could drive the ball toward right-center, right field, because that was he best chance to hit one out. Well, Rowand channelled that theory, because he hit one that, from our seats, just cleared the fence in right-center for a go-ahead home run! There was a smattering of Giants fans in our area, and, needless to say, we went bonkers! We even had a couple of pickles thrown at us, so you know WE WERE LOUD!

We were too cold to stay for the rest of the game, but saw the highlights; Brian Wilson flashing his nasty stuff, the wind playing with Uribe and Rowand, and David Wright losing his mind; so, after back-to-back walk-off losses, a win for the Giants, in what will probably be the only time I see them live this year - good times.

This never did look right...

Thank you for a great day, TIM-MAY!

And, so ended our first week on the east coast; week two consisted of getting our car (WOOT!), getting our stuff from movers (WOOT! WOOT!), and getting set up with Comcast - which has not gone as smoothly as I'd hope, though, of course, I'm posting today, so I got that going for me, which is nice...the house is almost done, and I hope to post pics next time around.

Also, there may be an opportunity to start cooking again; keep your fingers crossed, everyone.

No comments: